Thursday, 15 May 2014

Gingham Cambie!

My Gingham Cambie dress is completed!  I used a navy blue and white cotton blend gingham.  It doesn't feel like 100% cotton. It's also fully lined in a soft cotton batiste.  I altered the bodice again to create a better fit, and I used the Hollyburn skirt pattern.  It's incredibly comfortable but next time I think I'll make it with a longer skirt.  This felt a bit too short for me.    I feel like either Alice in Wonderland or Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz!






I made some progress with my zipper skills.  This one is a bit more invisible, and the waistline matches up!  Next time though I'll be careful to do the neck edge a bit closer to the top of the zipper.  There is a teeny gap but not enough to warrant a hook and eye.  The bodice looks a bit too tight in this photo, but it doesn't feel too tight at all.



A much better fit in the bodice this time.  Yay!







I lowered the darts and took in the centre front neckline to reduce the neckline gaping.  It worked wonderfully.  There is absolutely no gaping.  The fabric lies perfectly in place.


Here is my cotton batiste for underlining.


Here is a photo of the front bodice piece with the cotton batiste underlining.  I hand basted it with silk thread.  I'm glad I did this extra step because I think it creates a bit of gentle structure where it's needed the most.

Well, I'm putting the Cambie Dress pattern away for now.  Thank you Sewaholic for a gorgeous dress pattern!  I'm sure I'll come back to it to make different variations.

Happy Sewing!

Tuesday, 13 May 2014

Me-Made-May 2014: Week Two!

I've been too lazy to take daily photos.  I'll have to set up a tripod somewhere bright and remember to take a photo before I get busy with my day.  It's been so cold,  I've been wearing a lot of sweaters still.  I did wear 2 dresses but usually with a cardigan on top.  I also wore the knit cardigans on their own with a pair of jeans.  I wore my cozy Icelandic sweater again while working outside one morning.







I think I'm going to be wearing a lot of the same stuff over and over and I remind myself the point of this challenge is to appreciate the hand made items I have.  In that respect I think it's going well!

Happy Sewing!

Wednesday, 7 May 2014

Me-Made-May: Week 1

Here are a few photos of my me-made projects that I've rediscovered during the first week of Me-Made-May.

I've discovered that I tend to sew summer dresses mostly because it's fun.  However, it's a bit too chilly to wear summer dresses at this time of year here.  So I've been wearing a lot of my hand knit sweaters.  On the first day,  I wore my "calendula sweater".  Here it is on my Ravelry Page.  I also wore this sweater another day with my denim Hollyburn skirt (Sewaholic) and wool leotards.  I don't think I have a picture of that skirt.  Yes, I'm a Sewaholic patternaholic.


Another pullover that I've been cozy in is my Earth Sweater and jeans.  Comfy and warm for everyday.


Oh yeah,  and I've been wearing these cozy Crabapple Socks


... and Saturday evening I wore my brand new Denim Cambie for the first time out for dinner

Well, so far so good.  Hopefully things will warm up a bit so I can wear something more than sweaters and jeans.


Thanks for reading.
Happy sewing and knitting!

Saturday, 3 May 2014

Denim Cambie

I've had this pattern for a while, and now I've finally completed my first Cambie dress from Sewaholic.    I made view A in a lightweight denim.  I did a full bust adjustment that incorporated a side seam dart.  The denim is from my stash (lots leftover from a previous project). It's lined with black cotton batiste that is also from my stash.  I even found an invisible zipper in my notions drawer, so I didn't have to go out to purchase any supplies to make this dress. Yay!







I love the way this dress turned out, but I think there's definitely room for improvement fit-wise.  There's a tiny bit of gaping on the neckline.  I stay-stitched the neck edge to prevent stretching.  With the delicate curved sweetheart neckline, it's prone to stretching and distortion, and although I thought I was careful, I wonder whether I may have stretched it out of shape.  The waist darts have somehow creeped up right into the bust point.  Next time I will lower those darts and raise the neckline a tad.  So that's the bodice.  The skirt is an entirely different story.  It does not fit well at all.  I mean, it's ok, and I would wear it out but it's far from a perfect fit for me.  It needs to be taken in on the hips and the back darts lowered.    Either that or lengthen the waist to hip distance.  I'm definitely not a pear shape so I don't know why I didn't fit the skirt at all.  I think the pattern said A-line skirt and I thought it's relatively free in the hip anyways so I won't bother changing it.  It turns out to be a bit more of a roomy straight skirt that bulges at the hip!  I think next time I'll make it with a half circle skirt or the Lonsdale dress skirt pattern.  I love the drape of the Lonsdale dress skirt







Here's a pic of my not so invisible zipper!  I'll do better next time I hope.  Perhaps if I had a black one it wouldn't be visible.




There are drag lines in this bodice that need to be smoothed out.  If anyone has any fitting suggestions, please let me know!


FBA alterations





I enjoyed sewing the lining then turning it under and pressing it neatly.  That was definitely the fun part.  I also love the technique of sewing the lining to the zipper first.




Here's the inside lining.  Nice soft cotton batiste. 


I'm looking forward to making a second Cambie dress and perfect the fit.  But for now, I'm going to put on this dress and go to dinner!

Happy Sewing!