Denim Cambie

I've had this pattern for a while, and now I've finally completed my first Cambie dress from Sewaholic.    I made view A in a lightweight denim.  I did a full bust adjustment that incorporated a side seam dart.  The denim is from my stash (lots leftover from a previous project). It's lined with black cotton batiste that is also from my stash.  I even found an invisible zipper in my notions drawer, so I didn't have to go out to purchase any supplies to make this dress. Yay!







I love the way this dress turned out, but I think there's definitely room for improvement fit-wise.  There's a tiny bit of gaping on the neckline.  I stay-stitched the neck edge to prevent stretching.  With the delicate curved sweetheart neckline, it's prone to stretching and distortion, and although I thought I was careful, I wonder whether I may have stretched it out of shape.  The waist darts have somehow creeped up right into the bust point.  Next time I will lower those darts and raise the neckline a tad.  So that's the bodice.  The skirt is an entirely different story.  It does not fit well at all.  I mean, it's ok, and I would wear it out but it's far from a perfect fit for me.  It needs to be taken in on the hips and the back darts lowered.    Either that or lengthen the waist to hip distance.  I'm definitely not a pear shape so I don't know why I didn't fit the skirt at all.  I think the pattern said A-line skirt and I thought it's relatively free in the hip anyways so I won't bother changing it.  It turns out to be a bit more of a roomy straight skirt that bulges at the hip!  I think next time I'll make it with a half circle skirt or the Lonsdale dress skirt pattern.  I love the drape of the Lonsdale dress skirt







Here's a pic of my not so invisible zipper!  I'll do better next time I hope.  Perhaps if I had a black one it wouldn't be visible.




There are drag lines in this bodice that need to be smoothed out.  If anyone has any fitting suggestions, please let me know!


FBA alterations





I enjoyed sewing the lining then turning it under and pressing it neatly.  That was definitely the fun part.  I also love the technique of sewing the lining to the zipper first.




Here's the inside lining.  Nice soft cotton batiste. 


I'm looking forward to making a second Cambie dress and perfect the fit.  But for now, I'm going to put on this dress and go to dinner!

Happy Sewing!


Comments

  1. Your cambie dress looks really nice! I wouldn't have thought to make it in denim!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts