Tuesday, 8 July 2014

Anna Dress completed


I completed my Anna Dress which is my first By Hand London pattern.  It seemed to fit well with little alterations.  The skirt fit better than most patterns hip wise and back curve wise.  I love the way it hugs at the upper hip area (something I rarely get with other patterns).  I suppose I should be fitting my skirts as well as my bodices.

I cut a size 12 and lengthened the bodice to size 14 line (~3/4" increase).  I also sewed the size 14 pleats instead of the size 12 pleats.  The rest of the dress is made as per instructions.  The back skirt pattern pieces were a bit confusing because the centre back was not labelled.  If they would only label the centre back and side seam it would have made my life a lot easier.  If I make it again I would label the pattern pieces centre back and side seam.  The front skirt panels were not a problem at all.

The fabric I used here is a lightweight cotton voile print with a retro feel to it.  It could have benefited from some underlining, but otherwise, it's comfortable and cool.




I got some wrinkling in the back.  I'm not sure if this is a fit issue or a fabric issue.  This fabric is thin and wrinkles so easily.  I wonder if I underlined it in some batiste if this would resolve.  I'm pretty happy with my invisible zipper.

I love wearing this dress.  It's super comfy for hot summer days.  I would definitely make it again in a better quality fabric, or take the time to underline it with some cotton batiste because the wrinkling drives me crazy.

I already have some tentative plans for using this skirt with the Cambie bodice in a floral cotton sateen!

Happy Sewing!

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! Your fabric is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Joanne! I was drawn to this print the moment I saw it at the fabric store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me encanta el vestido!! Te queda genial!!!

    ReplyDelete