Wednesday, 23 December 2015

Completed: Wool Dress

I finished my winter wool dress.  Yay!  This is McCall's 7014 view A. 


I finally got some photo's of myself wearing it so now you can tell what it looks like on a real person!




I made it in a stretch wool herringbone fabric and lined it with Bemberg Rayon.  When I ordered the fabric, I was not aware that it was a stretch wool; otherwise, I wouldn't have bought it.  But I decided to use it anyways and see how it goes.


Well, I think it turned out ok, but it was not my favourite fabric to work with.  It was annoying and didn't hold a crease very well.  It was thick and bulky too.  By the end, I couldn't wait for it to be finished.  The rayon lining was getting annoying too.  I think next time I'd like to try lining with silk charmeuse



Anyways,  Here's the full-length view.  So, when I first prepared the fabric, I couldn't decide whether to use the darker side or, the lighter side, so I used both!  This created a side panel look.  Pretty cool hey?

Here's the zipper.  I did a hand picked zipper, which I love because not only does it look good but I feel I have more control doing it by hand.


I also did some hand topstitching on the front and back princess seams.



Constructions Details!

So, I made two muslins before sewing this up.  I ended up using a size 12 C bodice grading to size 14 at waist and hip.  I did a 3/8" forward shoulder adjustment.  I lengthened the bodice by 1" and I bowed in the darts for a better fit.  I'll add some photos of me wearing it as soon as I get them.


I always love the part of attaching the lining!


Getting ready for fell-stitching.  I know they always call it slip stitching in the instructions, but I think mine is more of a fell stitch.

This is where I get to sit down and relax with some hand sewing.



Well, that about wraps up my winter wool dress.  I'm sure I'll have a chance to wear it this winter.  It was fun, but I'm glad it's done because I can't wait to get my hands on this luscious Liberty of London cotton lawn just waiting to be made into a gorgeous '50s apron!


Until next time, 
Happy Sewing and Merry Christmas!



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful dress, love the different shades of grey used. I have this pattern also.
    Did you apply interfacing to the front slit to keep it firm? If so how much and what type?


    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I actually didn't use any interfacing on the slit. I guess it depends on your fashion fabric. If your fabric is drapier you might want to use interfacing there. I would probably just use fusible interfacing. A strip that would cover 1/2" on either side of the slit would probably work. You could also use silk organza. Just baste the piece on first then take out the basting after sewing the seam. Merry Christmas!

      Delete