Saturday, 31 December 2016

Year in Review 2016

Wow, does time ever fly when you're having fun in the sewing room!  It's been another wonderful year of sewing and I feel like I accomplished a lot even though I'm not a prolific sewer.

 The highlight of 2016 was without a doubt my brand new Bernina 580.  This is my dream sewing machine that I've wanted for a while.  I'm still loving it.  It's beautiful to work with and beautiful to look at too!

So what did I actually sew in 2016?  Let's see.
I started the year off with my ridiculously girly Vintage Apron.    I really enjoyed working on this.

The pattern had some unique details which were not only interesting but beneficial to add to my sewing repertoire.


Of course,  I also did some knitting and quilting this year.

Needle turn appliqué
I didn't complete a quilt or a cardigan.  But I did complete some mittens!  Here are my Songbird mittens.
I also squeezed in my La Joie du Printemps mittens this year.    





 I made two summer shirt dresses (McCall's 6696) and I learned a lot about fitting with these.  












I discovered that doing a sway back adjustment eliminates vertical excess and makes for a lot less poofing.  I really enjoyed fitting this dress despite my frustration fitting the collar to my gaping neckline adjustment.


Then I dived into my biggest challenge which will be a tremendous sewing accomplishment if I succeed; drafting and fitting a pants sloper.  I've always been frustrated by pants and the lack of a good fit.  Now I'm ready for the challenge.


Overall, it's been a pretty good year of sewing.  I did a bit more knitting than usual.  I find knitting stranded mittens doesn't hurt my wrist as much as knitting sweaters, so those mittens were fun.  I certainly did not sew as many garments as I would like but the garments I did sew were excellent quality, and I learned a lot from them.  However, I think next year I'd like to sew more garments.  So I better get going!

Thanks for reading my blog!  Many well wishes from my sewing room to yours!
Happy New Year!






No comments:

Post a Comment